Melanin is the natural pigment present in our skin and sometimes, it can be produced irregularly and cause uneven skin tone or dark spots.
There are 5 main causes for unbalanced melanin production on your face:
- Genetic Disposition. It’s a family thing!
- Unprotected Sun Exposure (when you don't wear SPF) . Instead of an even tan, you can sometimes develop “sunspots”.
- Hormonal Changes and imbalances (for example during pregnancy or menopause).
- Acne or other skin inflammations. Acne marks can appear post-inflammation.
- Ageing. Melanin production becomes less accurate as our skin ages, causing “age spots”.
Apart from dark spots, melanin irregularities can also cause dark circles under the eye. And while they can also be caused by ageing and genetics, stress and sleep deprivation play a significant role in their appearance.